The tract of floodplain along the New River in southwest Radford incorporates a variety of sites of human occupation from 8000 B.C. to the present. Prehistoric sites range from the Archaic through the Woodland periods. The area takes its name from the Ingles family, who settled 400 acres here about 1762. Test excavations have revealed the site of a log house—the home of William Ingles, and his wife Mary Draper Ingles, known for her dramatic escape from Indian captivity in the 1750s. The family operated a ferry here which served the many settlers traveling up the Valley of Virginia to western lands. Other resources associated with the Ingles family include a stable and a family cemetery. Ingleside, a late-18th-century dwelling, the home of William Ingles’s son John, is also located here. The property remains in the ownership of Ingles descendants.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark