Virginia State Seal

Virginia Department of Historic Resources

127-0033 Bolling Haxall House

Bolling Haxall House
*Click on image to enlarge.

For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF

VLR Listing Date 11/16/1971

NRHP Listing Date 03/16/1971

NPS property number 72001522

A foremost example of the Italian Villa style, this Franklin Street mansion was built in 1858 for Bolling Haxall, a prosperous mill owner and president of the Old Dominion Iron and Nail Works. The architect is undocumented, but the builders were John and George Gibson. With its roof topped by a square cupola, and its front accented by some of the city’s most elaborate cast-iron railings, the house is striking downtown landmark. The stately interior is highlighted by boldly molded woodwork, a spiral stair, and carved marble mantels. The Woman’s Club, founded in 1894 for the serious education of women, purchased the house in 1900 for its permanent headquarters, The club, along with the associated Bolling Haxall House Foundation, maintains the house as a community resource for a variety of cultural and educational programs. The club added an auditorium in 1915.


Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

Updated September 3, 2018