Wilton, the high-style Georgian mansion built in 1750-53 for William Randolph III, originally stood on a site overlooking the James River in eastern Henrico County, some fifteen miles east of its present location in the city of Richmond. Because of the threatened industrial development of its surroundings, the house was purchased by the National Society of Colonial Dames in America in 1933. It was then dismantled and carefully re-erected on a new site overlooking the James in Richmond’s west end. The accuracy of the rebuilding preserved the integrity of the house as an architectural landmark. With its regular five-bay facades and geometric proportions, Wilton is a superb essay in colonial design. Every room is fully paneled, and its main stair with its spiral-carved balusters shows colonial artistry and craftsmanship at their best. Wilton now serves as a museum of colonial architecture and decorative arts.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia