The Lee Medical Building is located on Richmond’s celebrated Monument Avenue, and is the most prominent design of prolific local architect W. Harrison Pringle. The building is the best-known project of local builder and developer Franklin A. Trice. Lee Medical Building was completed in 1952 after a sustained battle between the building’s owner and developer who fought for its construction and neighboring homeowners who bitterly contested its development. The six-story Colonial Revival building was speculatively developed with the hope of providing offices, laboratories, and outpatient medical facilities for doctors and dentists in the well-established Monument Avenue residential neighborhood. An understated earlier example of the same building type in Richmond is the 1920s Medical Arts Building at N. 2nd and Franklin streets in downtown Richmond. What distinguished the Lee Medical Building was its commanding orientation toward the Robert E. Lee monument and multiple design elements that complemented the Lee circle and Monument Avenue.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark