For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
See link(s) below to view additional documentation.
VLR Listing Date 01/05/1971
NRHP Listing Date 07/02/1971
NHL Listing Date 11/11/1971
NRHP Reference Number 71001048
This industrial complex was the leading ordnance foundry of the Confederacy. Tredegar maintained wartime production despite severe shortages of raw materials, skilled labor, and effective transportation. It enabled the South to sustain itself as a viable war machine for four years. Chartered in 1837 and named for the ironworks at Tredegar in Wales, Tredegar’s rise to preeminence began in 1841 when Joseph Reid Anderson took over the company. Known as the “Ironmaker to the Confederacy,” Anderson guided the firm through the war and to prosperity in the decades following. Tredegar eventually declined to a small local concern and left the site in 1958. The derelict complex was then acquired by Ethyl Corporation, which undertook a restoration of the complex’s antebellum buildings as a civic amenity; Tredegar is now a part of the American Civil War Museum. Tredegar’s principal structure is the gable-roofed gun foundry where most of the Confederate armaments were produced.
[1976 updated NHL nomination accepted: 12/22/1977]
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 1, 2019