A noteworthy representative of Richmond’s late-19th-century townhouse architecture, the Hunt-Sitterding House gains interest from being the home of one of Richmond’s prominent builder-architects. Completed in 1891, the house was designed and built by Gilbert J. Hunt, Jr., to serve as his residence and office. Hunt is best remembered as a leading developer of Richmond’s Fan District, a signature historic neighborhood of the city today, where he designed and constructed at least 55 houses. With its Romanesque porch and its pointed roof tower, Hunt’s home is a demonstration of the freely interpreted historicism that characterized many American urban dwellings of the 1890s. The house combines elements of the Queen Anne and Romanesque Revival styles. Richmond realtor Frederick Sitterding, Jr., purchased the property from the Hunt estate in 1922. Virginia Commonwealth University acquired the house in 1975 for use as offices.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark