The cheerfully decorous flavor that late-19th-century affluent Americans required for their houses is exhibited in this narrow Richmond town house, a remnant of a formerly residential neighborhood, now part of the Grace Street Commercial Historic District. It was completed in 1874 for Joseph P. Winston, a wholesale grocer. Built at a time when elaborate architectural elements were popularized in builders’ catalogs, most of the details used here, including the cornice, doors, moldings, mantels, and balusters, were stock materials available from local distributors or manufacturers. Although mass-produced, the quality of these pieces was in keeping with the period’s high standards of craftsmanship. A conspicuous feature is the cast-iron front porch, which employs patterns found in no other of Richmond’s many iron porches. Also lending character is the ogee mansard roof sheathed in rounded slates. The Joseph P. Winston house has been sympathetically restored for office use.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark