For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 02/15/1977
NRHP Listing Date 11/07/1977
NRHP Reference Number 77001537
Completed in 1921 as the headquarters of the Virginia Trust Company, this bank building is a salient example of the Neoclassical Revival, an architectural style of the early 20th century directly inspired by the grandiose works of ancient Rome. The white granite facade is reminiscent of a Roman triumphal arch, and the banking room is dominated by a gilded coffered ceiling heavily encrusted with classical ornamentation. The bank was designed by Alfred Charles Bossom, an Englishman who maintained a New York practice from 1903 to 1926 and then returned to Britain for a political career which culminated in 1960 by his being made a life peer. This work is perhaps the most elegant of the some half-dozen buildings Bossom designed for Richmond, and is among the best-preserved bank buildings of its style and period in the state.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: August 10, 2021