A pristine example of the Georgian Revival style, the Richmond Academy of Medicine was built in 1932 as the headquarters of an institution that traces its origins to 1820, when a group of Richmond and Manchester physicians organized the city’s first medical society. The building, located in the Virginia Commonwealth University’s Medical College of Virginia campus, is the physical embodiment of the unification of various factions of the area’s medical profession, representing the merger of representatives of the local medical colleges and hospitals into a single professional fraternity. The Richmond architectural firm of Baskervill and Lambert planned the building to house a collection of early medical manuscripts, artworks, and medical instruments. A lecture hall and reception rooms provided space for assembly and scholarly discourse. The Academy continues as an active institution, serving as a social and academic center for the area’s distinguished medical community.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark