Constructed between 1893 and 1895, the Hasker and Marcuse Factory developed the process of manufacturing polychromatic printed tobacco tins. Shipped nationwide, the firm’s tins were the primary means of advertising and marketing the products of the newly consolidated tobacco companies formed in Richmond during the 1890s. Integral to this manufacturing process was the development and application of the technology of tin-printing processes, which resulted in the invention and widespread use of offset lithography. This mass-production of labeled tins marked the beginnings of the modern packaging industry. Located in the Union Hill Historic District in the Church Hill section of Richmond, the four-story brick building with its unadorned walls and large window areas is typical of the industrial architecture of the period. Renamed Church Hill House, it has been preserved through adaptation as housing for the low-income elderly.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark