Begun in 1896, the Union Theological Seminary complex is a collection of dark-red brick High Victorian Gothic, Late Gothic Revival, and Queen Anne buildings. The ground plan and the majority of the buildings were designed by Richmond architect Charles H. Read, Jr. Later buildings were designed by Charles K. Bryant and Baskervill and Lambert, the latter completing the quadrangle in 1921 with Schauffler Hall, a Late Gothic Revival building, portions of which were incorporated into a new library erected in 1997. The whole Union Theological Seminary Quadrangle forms a coherent expression of the dignity and style accorded academic campuses at the turn of the 20th century. Founded in 1812 at Hampden-Sydney College as a Presbyterian theological school, the seminary relocated to Richmond in 1896 on a twelve-acre site donated by Richmond tobacconist Maj. Lewis Ginter, within the Ginter Park neighborhood of north Richmond. The Union Seminary has since played a leading role in religious education in the South.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark