For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 11/05/1968
NRHP Listing Date 04/16/1969
NRHP Reference Number 69000346
Sheltered by magnolia trees, this town house is the sole reminder of the former residential character of the downtown portion of Richmond’s Broad Street. It also serves as an architectural link between its two nationally significant neighbors: Monumental Church and the Egyptian Building. Dating from 1839, the house was built for William Beers, a merchant tailor. Typical of antebellum Richmond town houses, it has a side-hall plan and a small columned porch sheltering its entrance. The original gable roof was removed in 1860 and replaced with a full third story topped by an Italianate cornice. Preserved without significant alteration since that time, the house came under the ownership of the Medical College of Virginia Foundation late in the 20th century.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: June 21, 2021