This handsome scaled-down version of the White House was completed in 1932 to serve wives, widows, daughters, and sisters, of Confederate veterans. Following a fire at the previous home downtown, Mrs. Andrew Jackson Montague, wife of the governor, campaigned for a fireproof facility. Sufficient funds were obtained by 1929; the site chosen was on the grounds of Camp # 1 of the Confederate veterans (located in the Boulevard Historic District). The design was provided by Richmond architect Merrill Lee. The choice of the White House as a model is not without irony. The White House, however, traditionally has been associated with domesticity and its image offered a stately setting for these revered ladies. With eligible occupants becoming extinct in 1980s, the property was transferred to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts for conversion to studios and offices.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia