The United Daughters of the Confederacy Memorial Building, the organization’s national headquarters, was constructed 1955-57 on the Boulevard in Richmond, and sited next to the Virginia Historical Society building, formerly the Confederate Memorial Institute. Erected as a memorial to southern women who managed homes, farms, and businesses and endured economic and other hardships while caring for their families during the Civil War, the headquarters building sits on land formerly part of the Lee Camp Confederate Veterans Home. Its “Stripped Classical” style, expresses a modern interpretation of a three-part Palladian design. Though the UDC was formally organized from several smaller, informal women’s groups in the 1890s, it did not have a national home for many decades, until the Richmond site was selected from a list of other locations proposed throughout former Confederate states. The building also houses an archives and library, where it preserves documents relating to the years between 1861-65. The UDC evolved from an organization focused largely on preserving the history of the Confederacy to one assisting Confederate veterans and their families and finally to a benevolent and patriotic organization offering scholarships, providing support for American service men and women and their families, and conducting genealogical research.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia
Copyright © 2023. All Rights Reserved | Website by CURE