127-0834

Moore’s Auto Body and Paint Shop

VLR Listing Date

08/18/1993

NRHP Listing Date

10/14/1993

NRHP Reference Number

93001123

This curved arcade comfortably maintains a presence among the larger-scale buildings of Richmond’s West Broad Street. The Moore’s Auto Body and Paint Shop serves as a tangible demonstration of how visual dignity can be imparted to the most utilitarian buildings through the competent use of the architectural vocabulary of classicism. The Mediterranean-style work is the façade of an 1875 brick stable. The design was commissioned by J. Luther Moore from the local firm of Lee, Smith, and VanderVoort. Moore purchased the stable in 1926. Acknowledging West Broad Street’s fashionable character, the architects ingeniously gave the block an elegant corner. The building was used as an automotive service station until 1936. Since then it has offered automobile repairs by various successive firms, maintaining a century-old tradition of servicing transportation vehicles here.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

127-7673

High-Rise for the Elderly

Richmond (Ind. City)

127-7825

Hermitage Road Warehouse Historic District 2023 Boundary Increase

Richmond (Ind. City)

127-7231

Shockoe Hill Burying Ground Historic District

Richmond (Ind. City)