The Weisiger-Carroll House is a landmark of early Manchester, a community on the south bank of the James River annexed by the city of Richmond in 1910. This raised cottage is a rare surviving example of Federal-period urban vernacular architecture. John Mayo, Manchester’s leading entrepreneur, originally owned the land on which the house stands. Mayo sold the tract in 1816 to Richard Kendall Weisiger, who probably built the house sometime after that date. The property passed by marriage to John A. Carroll, an Irish Catholic who assisted in founding Manchester’s Sacred Heart Catholic Church. The house served as a Confederate hospital during the Civil War and more than 100 Confederate soldiers who died here lie buried in an adjacent cemetery. The house remains surprisingly unaltered, preserving original floorboards, baseboards, chairboards and an unusually sophisticated mantel.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark