For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 09001158
Constructed in 1895 in Richmond’s Jackson Ward neighborhood, the First Battalion Virginia Volunteers Armory, featuring brick towers and crenellation along the roof parapet, was built for an African American militia unit and is now the oldest of three identified black-affiliated armories in the U.S. It also is one of only two surviving armories in Richmond, where five such crenellated buildings once existed. After the black militia company who used it disbanded in 1899, the building housed a school for African American children from 1903 until World War II, when it was converted to a reception center for the thousands of black soldiers who passed though its doors between 1942-45. After World War II, the armory served again as an educational facility and for a period housed The Black History Museum of Richmond.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated March 22, 2019