Joseph Bryan Park is a 262-acre park given in 1909 to the city of Richmond “to be a free park for the use and benefit of all its citizens” by Belle Stewart Bryan in memory of her husband, the publisher of the Richmond Times. Its landscape reflects a broad historic panorama incorporating its 18th-century plantation and mill sites, its use in 1800 as a meeting place of members of the slave rebellion led by Gabriel, and its subsequent development as a city park expressing the City Beautiful movement. In the 1920s, accommodations were made for automobile visitation and in 1952 the city of Richmond developed a major azalea garden at Joseph Bryan Park.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark