Tredegar Iron Works was the predecessor of Richmond Locomotive and Machine Works, which grew to become a nationally known manufacturer of steam locomotive engines and an integral part of the industrial landscape of the City of Richmond. The plant produced hundreds of steam engines, which were then shipped out to meet the demands of public and private interests across America as well as several countries in Europe, Asia, and the South Pacific. Following its 1901 merger into what became the American Locomotive Company (ALCO), the Richmond Works continued to manufacture cutting-edge machines, including some of the biggest locomotives ever constructed, for distribution and use around the world. Although less than three decades would pass before the invention of the diesel engine signaled the end of the steam industry, the Richmond Works continued to produce specialty parts under contract to ALCO for many years. The site remained in use until late 2006, most recently as a specialty steel fabrication plant, maintaining its industrial character. The building has been converted to a movie theatre complex since listing in the registers.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark