In Richmond, the Hermitage Road Warehouse Historic District is associated with the city’s industrial growth and history from 1913 through 1958. The district captures a cohesive group of early-to-mid-20th-century warehouse buildings exhibiting unadorned architecture and engineering trends of the period and representing some of the city’s most prominent businesses, including Export Leaf Tobacco (the purchasing arm of British American Tobacco), J. P. Taylor Co. (a subsidiary of Universal Leaf), Miller & Rhoads, and the A. H. Robins Company.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark