For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
NPS property number 15001043
Byrd Park Court, located near William Byrd Park in Richmond, is a twelve-building (eighteen-unit) residential development completed in 1921 during the City Beautiful Movement era. One of Richmond’s leading designers of the first half of the 20th century, architect Carl Max Lindner, Sr., with partner Charles H. Phillips, used a plan that featured three houses outside of a Beaux Arts-styled gate and nine houses, arranged around an inner loop, behind the gate. The complex’s variety of architectural styles reflect popular trends in Richmond’s then fast-developing West End and includes Beaux Arts Classical, Colonial Revival, Spanish Colonial Revival/Mediterranean Revival, Craftsman and Tudor Revival. Byrd Park Court is an exceptional and highly intact example of an early 20th century residential court design in Richmond.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated April 4, 2018