Completed in 1901, the Augusta County Courthouse stands in the city of Staunton, where all of the county’s courthouses have stood since the first one was built in 1745. Its imposing architectural design is local architect T.J. Collins’s interpretation of the florid classicism made popular by the American Renaissance movement. Dominated by a tall dome and Composite-order portico, the finely crafted building symbolizes the prosperity enjoyed by the city of Staunton and Augusta County at the turn of the 20th century, and remains a prominent landmark of the city’s historic downtown, in the Beverley Historic District. The exterior of the Augusta County Courthouse survives essentially unaltered and much of the original character of the interior is intact. Several antebellum law offices remain on the compact court square.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark