132-0022

Kable House

VLR Listing Date

12/19/1978

NRHP Listing Date

06/19/1979

NRHP Reference Number

79003299

The Kable House was built in 1873-74 in the city of Staunton for John W. Alby. This first building of the former Staunton Military Academy, it is now part of the Mary Baldwin College campus. In 1860, Capt. William Hartman Kable founded the Charles Town Male Academy in Charles Town, Virginia (now West Virginia). After the Civil War, Kable decided to move his school to Virginia proper, and in 1883 purchased this Italianate bracketed villa in the city of Staunton. Originally named the Staunton Male Academy, the school developed a military format in 1886. The house served as both a dormitory and the Kable family residence for many years, and later was used for classrooms and offices. Its interior was remodeled in 1917 by the local firm of T. J. Collins & Son, but the exterior retains its Italianate flavor. Staunton Military Academy closed in 1976 and sold its campus to Mary Baldwin College, which put the Kable House to use for student service offices.

Last Updated: June 2, 2023

Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.

Abbreviations:
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark

For additional information Read

Nomination Form

132-5028

Goodloe House

Staunton (Ind. City)

132-5027

Staunton Steam Laundry

Staunton (Ind. City)

132-5023

Montgomery Hall Park

Staunton (Ind. City)