This Greek Revival mansion is Suffolk’s most distinguished historic residence and an outstanding example of Greek Revival urban residential architecture. The formality of its exterior is emphasized by its large scale, fine brickwork, and stone lintels. The large airy rooms are decorated with bold Greek Revival trim and ornamental ceiling medallions. Mills Riddick, a member of a prominent area family, began construction of the house, next to the Nansemond County Courthouse, in 1837 after the fire that consumed much of the town. Maj. Gen. John J. Peck and his staff of Union officers occupied the house during the Civil War. Penciled messages written by Union soldiers remain on the third floor. The house remained in the Riddick family until the 1960s when it was sold to Nansemond County. It subsequently was restored and is now a museum and cultural center.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia