For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 02/20/1990
NRHP Listing Date 01/24/1991
NRHP Reference Number 90002178
Built between 1802 and 1806 for Daniel West, the Plumb House is believed to be the only surviving early log building in the city of Waynesboro. The two-story structure originally had a hall-parlor plan and was sheathed in weatherboards. It later was given a center passage and was covered with shingles in the 20th century. Distinguishing features of the remarkably preserved interior include its fine Federal mantels, chevron-pattern door, and enclosed winder stair. The east chimney is a rare example for the region of the use of Flemish-bond brickwork with glazed headers. Behind the house is an early smokehouse/kitchen. The property was purchased in 1838 by Alfred Plumb, a local tavern owner, and remained in the Plumb family until 1994 when it was acquired for preservation by the city of Waynesboro.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: November 30, 2021