Fairfax Hall in the city of Waynesboro, was originally known as the Brandon Hotel, and is one of only two of the many late Victorian resort hotel buildings remaining that once dotted the Shenandoah Valley. Most of these establishments were built in conjunction with the building of the Norfolk and Western railroad, which made them easily accessible to eastern and northern cities. Opened in 1890 in what was originally Basic City, later consolidated with the city of Waynesboro, the hotel was designed by Washington, D. C. architect William M. Poindexter. Poindexter produced a noteworthy Queen Anne scheme in the shingled mode, employing a central cupola and corner towers. A relaxed atmosphere was conveyed by the use of a long front porch. In 1920 the building became Fairfax Hall, a preparatory school and junior college for girls which operated for some fifty years. It later became a training center; after standing vacant for years, Fairfax Hall was converted late in the 20th century for use as affordable housing for seniors.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark