Glen Burnie was part of a 1735 grant to James Wood, who founded Winchester in 1752 and platted its lots. Wood’s log-and-stone house was replaced by the present brick dwelling, built ca. 1794 by his son Robert. Glen Burnie remained the home of Wood’s descendants through the seventh generation. Although now within Winchester’s city limits, the estate preserves its rural character. Extensive gardens were laid out by Julian Wood Glass, Jr., the last of Wood’s descendants to live here, after he inherited the property in 1952. Within the gardens is the Wood family cemetery. The first floor of the oldest section, containing the stair hall and dining room, features some of the area’s most sophisticated Federal woodwork. The stair hall cornice is decorated with gougework and stars. The property is now a museum administered by the Glass-Glen Burnie Foundation; in 2015 it was included within the boundaries of an expanded Winchester Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark