For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 04/18/1972
NRHP Listing Date 11/09/1972
NRHP Reference Number 72001419
In the heart of Wytheville, the Haller-Gibboney Rock House is one of the simple but well-ordered stone vernacular houses that once marked many of western Virginia’s linear towns. The Wythe County region’s limestone proved to be a plentiful and easily worked material and gave texture and character to the otherwise plain architecture. The house is thought to have been started in 1822 by Adam Saftly. It was sold unfinished in 1823 to Dr. John Haller, a native of York, Pa., and Wytheville’s first resident physician. Dr. Haller made the Rock House his home until his death in 1840. The house was riddled by bullets in a Union raid during the Civil War but survived in an otherwise good state of preservation. Purchased by the town of Wytheville in 1967, the Haller-Gibboney Rock House was converted into a museum.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: September 22, 2022