One of Wythe County’s most eminent historic residences, Loretto, in the town of Wytheville, is the product of three phases of development. The core is a single-pile brick house probably built around 1852 for William Alexander Stuart, older brother of Confederate general J. E. B. Stuart. Stuart was the county clerk and a developer of the salt industry in Saltville. Stuart sold Loretto to Benjamin Rush Floyd, son of Governor John B. Floyd, who himself served in the Virginia Senate. Loretto was enlarged and remodeled in the Second Empire style in the 1880s when it was owned by Robert Crockett. In 1888 Loretto became the home of Archibald A. Campbell and his wife Susie, daughter of William Alexander Stuart. The Campbells made many changes, the most conspicuous being the Doric portico, added in 1911. A double-crib log barn and a rare log slave quarters stand nearby.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark