Woods Hill in the City of Franklin is a significant example of the collaborative work of two 20th-century master practitioners in Virginia of home and landscape design, Alan McCullough and Charles Freeman Gillette, with the landscape design being the primary focus of the nomination. Gillette sited the house and other buildings, including incorporating existing buildings (a 1937 restaurant, service station, and pumphouse) and laid out the ponds, gardens, and other plantings on the property. Architect McCullough designed the two-story brick and wood house, constructed in 1951. The 17-plus-acre Woods Hill property features a car park, dog cemetery, log cabin, flower house, doghouse, stables, peacock house, pumphouse, dollhouse, and fort.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark