The City of Franklin built the Franklin High School Gymnasium and Agricultural & Shop Building (the Charles Street Gym) in 1935-36 with funds from a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant, which covered 45 percent of the construction costs, and a loan for the remaining costs from the Literary Fund of Virginia. An important component of the city’s public education history, the building provided Franklin high school students gym space for physical education, an industrial shop and an agricultural classroom in the rear. The PWA and state architect Raymond V. Long recommended the building’s Classical Revival design from plans drafted in 1935. An integral part of the city’s high school complex, the building was used by the city from 1936 to 1966, after which the gymnasium space became a secondary recreational venue for community basketball, and when listed in 2019 served the high school’s wrestling program and robotics team.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark