The Louisiana Brigade Winter Camp, also known as Camp Carondelet, served during 1861-62 as the winter quarters for the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Confederate infantry regiments, the First Louisiana Battalion Infantry (General Wheat’s Special Battalion), and Bowyer’s Virginia artillery. Intact features include more than twenty-five hut sites, (low, rectangular, earthen mounds and remnants of collapsed chimneys), road traces, rifle pits, a bottle dump, and an additional fifty features thought to be hut sites. In March 1862, the log huts were burned by the soldiers before withdrawing to the Rappahannock River. At first called “wharf rats from New Orleans,” the Louisiana military units displayed fierce fighting style in the battle of first Manassas. Thereafter, the Louisiana soldiers were considered heroes and commonly referred to as the “Tigers.” The Louisiana Brigade Winter Camp site is listed in the registers under the Civil War Properties, Prince William County Multiple Property Documentation form, and is owned by the city of Manassas Park.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark