For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 01/20/1981
NRHP Listing Date 10/06/1981
NRHP Reference Number 81000645
The Conner House achieved significance in the Civil War first as Confederate headquarters for Gen. Joseph E. Johnston from July to November 1861, and then as a hospital for the wounded of the second battle of Manassas. One of the few remaining antebellum residences in the growing Manassas region, the plain stone house was built ca. 1820, probably as an overseer’s house, and later extended. Using the local dark brown sandstone, it survives as an example of an indigenous vernacular dwelling type. During the first half of the 20th century the property was owned by the Conner family, proprietors of one of Prince William County’s major dairy farms. The house is currently undergoing a long-term restoration as a civic amenity by the city of Manassas Park.
[Photo date: 2016]
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: March 17, 2021