The Christiansburg Presbyterian Church is one of a related group of Greek Revival churches concentrated in and around the Roanoke Valley. Common features of these buildings are the temple form, usually with a portico in antis; meticulous brickwork; and a square belfry framed with paired pilasters and topped by a steeple. The architectural details mostly are adapted from builders’ pattern books, particularly those of Asher Benjamin who popularized the Greek Revival style for local builders. The church was erected in 1853 by James E. Crush of Fincastle, who was assisted by the brothers Samuel M. and James W. Hickok. In contrast to the many mundane small town churches of the period, Christiansburg Presbyterian displays remarkable inventiveness in the simplification of its classical details. Presbyterians came to Montgomery County in the late 18th century; the Christiansburg congregation was organized in 1827.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark