The hundreds of well-designed, well-crafted post offices built across the United States during the Great Depression symbolized the government’s effort to instill civic pride and to restore confidence in Federal institutions. These buildings, both great and small, frequently were the chief architectural works in their respective communities, and set standards for other buildings. Begun in 1936, the Christiansburg Post Office in Montgomery County, a neat and sophisticated work despite its diminutive size, is an excellent demonstration of the Federal presence in a country town. The modified Georgian work, like many in the program, was designed by Louis A. Simon, chief architect of the U.S. Postal Service. A lobby mural by Paul DeTroot, depicting local events of the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars, is a characteristic example of the accomplished public art sponsored by the Works Progress Administration. The post office contributes to the Christiansburg Downtown Historic District.
The Christiansburg Post Office was listed in the registers under the Prehistoric and Historic Resources of Montgomery County MPD.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark