The Edgar A. Long Building is a two-and-a-half-story, brick structure built in 1927 on the 20th-century campus of the Christiansburg Industrial Institute. The Friends Freedmen’s Association of Philadelphia first sponsored education for emancipated slaves by financing construction of the Old Christiansburg Industrial Institute’s Hill School and Schaeffer Memorial Baptist Church in the 1880s. The Friends Freedmen’s Association then turned to famed educator, Booker T. Washington, who advised them on purchase of Montgomery County farmland for a 20th-century campus for the agricultural and industrial instruction of African American students. The Edgar A. Long Building has statewide significance as the only pre-1950 building that stands on its original site at the campus, begun in the early 1900s as a regional center for secondary and higher education of African Americans.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark