Kanawha, later named Tuckahoe, was the creation of Vernon H. Ford, businessman and mayor of town of Luray, the Page County seat. His imposing Classical Revival residence was constructed between 1921-1923 in the prestigious Inn Lawn subdivision, the principal real estate venture of Ford’s Luray Land Company. Designed by Roanoke architect George R. Ragan, the two-and-a-half-story, brick-and-tile residence has a semicircular Corinthian portico, a porte cochere, and a Spanish tile roof with large hipped dormers. Interior features include Doric and Ionic colonnade screens between principal living and circulation spaces and Classical Revival mantels. At the time of Ford’s death in 1931, he was considered the chief dynamic force behind the local Good Roads movement. The Kanawha property remained in the Ford family until 1987.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark