This landmark in the Accomack County courthouse complex is the county’s oldest public building and a relic of the archaic custom of incarcerating debtors. The austere little structure was built in 1783 as a jailer’s residence and was converted to a debtors’ prison in 1824, at which time iron bars and heavy oak batten doors were added. It served as a debtors’ prison until 1849. The debtors’ prison was built in the southeast corner of the ten-foot-high walled jail yard with the north wall of the building forming one section of the wall. The jail and the wall were demolished by the county in 1909, and custody of the debtors’ prison was given to the Drummondtown Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (now Preservation Virginia). The building has since undergone renovation and serves as a local history museum in the Accomac Historic District.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
DHR has secured permanent legal protection for over 700 historic places - including 15,000 acres of battlefield lands
DHR has erected 2,532 highway markers in every county and city across Virginia
DHR has engaged over 450 students in 3 highway marker contests
DHR has stimulated more than $4.2 billion dollars in private investments related to historic tax credit incentives, revitalizing communities of all sizes throughout Virginia