A landmark in the center of Accomac’s historic district, this rare example of Federal commercial architecture was erected as a store in 1816 by the brothers Richard and John Bayly. In 1819 they sold the building to Michael Higgins and Alexander McCollom who operated a mercantile business for a number of years under the name of Higgins and McCollom. Stucco was added to the façade in 1899 when the building was converted to a bank, a use it kept until 1963. In 1972 the building was restored for use as the headquarters of the Eastern Shore of Virginia Chamber of Commerce, and it has since gone on to house private offices. Despite its changes of function, the building has suffered few significant alterations. Architectural refinements of this building in Accomac include the modillion cornices, a lunette gable window, and stuccoed lintels.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark