Located at the northern edge of the Bowling Green Historic District in Caroline County, Auburn is an excellent example of a mid-19th-century Greek Revival-style dwelling adapted to local vernacular tradition. It was built during Bowling Green’s establishment as a courthouse town, circa 1843, for clerk of court Robert Hudgin, providing him with a convenient location near the courthouse. Despite changing ownership many times during the late-19th- and early-20th-centuries, Auburn, located in the northernmost area of the town, retains its rural setting and its original two-story side-passage plan, including its character-defining Greek Revival porch. A rear ell addition was added in the late-19th-century and a sunroom in the 1930s. Today the Auburn property remains a private dwelling, and most rooms maintain their original function. There is one outbuilding, a circa-1940 shed located to the west of the house.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark