The large gristmill on Stony Creek at the western end of the historic Shenandoah County community of Edinburg is a relic of the region’s early agricultural industry. The present Edinburg Mill was built ca. 1850 by George Grandstaff to support a mill complex developed by his father beginning in 1813. The mill was set afire during Union general Philip Sheridan’s sweep of the Valley in 1865. Tradition has it, however, that the ladies of the town persuaded the Union officers to save the remaining flour supply. They and the Union soldiers then extinguished the flames, rescuing the mill and most of the contents. The machinery was modernized at the turn of the 20th century, and milling operations continued until 1978. The Edinburg Mill has since been adapted for use as a restaurant.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark