Henry Miller, Jr., descendant of one of the earliest settlers west of the Blue Ridge Mountains, had this substantial and finely fitted brick house built for his residence in 1827. As noted in the contract, the carpentry and joinery for the dwelling were executed by Samuel Gibbons of Rockingham County, making this one of the few houses in the area with which a specific craftsman is associated. The woodwork, especially a mantel carved with a tulip-and-vine motif, shows the influence of the German style on an otherwise non-Germanic house. Confederate General Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson used the house as his headquarters in April 1862, beginning his famous Valley Campaign from this location. In 1984 the house was donated by the Kite family to the town of Elkton. The Miller-Kite House has since been restored by the Elkton Historical Society for use as a museum.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark