For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 03/08/2006
NRHP Listing Date 05/10/2006
NRHP Reference Number 06000367
A three-story brick commercial building situated in Exmore in Northampton County on the Eastern Shore, Benjamin’s Department Store, circa 1910, is an example of department store commerce from the early 20th century, meaning the building’s form and general appearance is a rarity on the Eastern Shore. It was commissioned by Exmore town-founder John W. Chandler, a local produce broker and large county landholder, and operated by Harry Benjamin, a member of a successful merchant family in the area during the early 20th century, when the shore region’s economy was primarily agricultural and produce was shipped via steamship to major northern ports.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated: December 28, 2021