Monterey High School, constructed in 1922 at the western edge of the town of Monterey in Highland County, represents an era in educational history in Virginia when the state created architectural plans and provided financial assistance in guaranteeing bonds for the construction of new schools. A one-story Classical Revival-style structure faced in local garnet sandstone and resting on a raised basement, the school retains a remarkable amount of its original fabric. Its well-organized plan fostered a progressive educational program that was especially popular during the early 20th century. All classrooms opened directly onto a central auditorium and also provided access to the outside, and natural light flooded the building through clerestory windows over the auditorium and sets of large windows in each classroom. In 1997, Monterey High School ceased to be an educational facility, and at the time of its listing, served as a multi-use community building known as the Highland Center.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark