Encompassing the oldest sections of the Fauquier County Town of Remington, located near the Rappahannock River and the Culpeper County boundary, the Remington Historic District is a remarkably intact and well-preserved late-19th- and early-20th-century commercial center that retains a significant collection of architecturally distinguished dwellings, mercantile buildings, and institutional structures. Only one building in the district pre-dates this time period, due mainly to the destruction the town experienced during the Civil War and several early-20th-century fires. Remington was incorporated in 1890, and it was during the two following decades that the town really developed. Located on the main line of the former Orange and Alexandria Railroad (now Norfolk-Southern Railroad), Remington, one of only three incorporated towns in Fauquier County, was important as both a commercial and transportation center for the surrounding, agriculturally rich Piedmont. The Remington Historic District contains four linear areas of residential buildings as well as the part of East Main Street that is primarily commercial.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark