Colonial Theatre, located in the South Hill Commercial Historic District in Mecklenburg County, is an impressive three–story commercial brick building that was constructed by Gilbert A. Saunders in 1925. Colonial Theatre was built to house live entertainment, including vaudeville and musical productions, and later, silent movies and modern motion pictures. The interior features ceramic tile floors, wood paneling, and pressed metal ceilings. The original metal seats survive. The building housed the post office on the ground floor and offices and a Masonic meeting room on the upper floors. The building stood vacant for many years before it was rehabilitated using tax credits and re-purposed as South Hill’s Colonial Center for Performing Arts.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark