The principal landmark of the tiny county seat community of Stanardsville, the Greene County Courthouse is a polished representative of an important group of Roman Revival courthouses scattered through Virginia’s Piedmont. These works mostly were the products of various master builders who had learned the classical vocabulary from Thomas Jefferson while building the University of Virginia. This courthouse was erected in 1838 by William Donoho and William B. Phillips and follows the standard temple form format with a properly executed Doric entablature. As originally finished, the façade had only the four pilasters; the portico was added in 1927-28. The ornamental octagonal cupola is presumably original. The courthouse was heavily damaged by fire in 1979, but the exterior survived intact. The interior of the Greene County Courthouse has since been rebuilt.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark