This colonial port town of Urbanna, in Middlesex County, was established in 1680 and gently evolved over the succeeding three centuries. Located on the west bank of Urbanna Creek at its confluence with the Rappahannock River, it served as a tobacco port in the 18th century and was a mercantile and commercial fishing center in the 19th century. By the 20th century it had become a summer resort and was known for its oyster-packing plants. Formerly the county seat, Urbanna contains one of Virginia’s eleven surviving colonial courthouses. Its principal architectural landmark is Lansdowne, a colonial mansion in the heart of the town. Reflecting its history as a tobacco port is the Old Tobacco Warehouse, picturesquely situated on the lane leading to the waterfront. Opposite the warehouse is Sandwich, an early brick dwelling traditionally thought to have been the customs house. Mingled among these early structures in the Urbanna Historic District is a mix of 19th- and 20th-century houses, churches, and commercial buildings maintaining its small-town character.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark