For additional information, read the Nomination Form PDF
VLR Listing Date 04/18/1972
NRHP Listing Date 11/09/1972
NPS property number 72001377
Delisted from VLR on 06/19/2008
Delisted from NPS on 06/10/2005
Commanding a sweeping view across Chincoteague Bay atop terraced grounds, this plantation house is perhaps the most academic example of Georgian architecture on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. Its Flemish-bond brick walls are accented by rubbed-brick belt courses, gauged-brick lintels, and two handsome Palladian windows. Inside is a wealth of original woodwork, including a fully paneled parlor and a Georgian stair. The dominant interior feature is a tall stair-hall arch framed by fluted pilasters set on pedestals. The house was built for George Corbin on land purchased by his father in 1745. The construction date of 1787 is assumed from two inscribed bricks. Corbin Hall’s proximity to the Maryland border and its similarity to contemporary Maryland Eastern Shore architecture, suggest that the house may have been constructed by Maryland craftsmen.
The house was destroyed by fire in 2000, and the property has been removed from the registers.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark
Updated December 12, 2018