The Jeffersonian-style country house of Esmont, located in southern Albemarle County, was built ca. 1816 for Dr. Charles Cocke, nephew of James Powell Cocke of Edgemont and cousin of John Hartwell Cocke of Bremo. Although Cocke corresponded with Jefferson, no documentation has surfaced to indicate that the statesman-architect had a hand in the design. It has, instead, been attributed to the Jeffersonian builder William B. Phillips. With its Doric entablatures and stuccoed columns, contrasting with red brick walls and green louvered blinds, the house illustrates the Jeffersonian interpretation of classicism with local materials for local needs. Except for the lengthening of the porch, Esmont stands essentially as built. Its interior preserves rich appointments, including a parquet hall floor, ornamental plaster ceilings, Philadelphia marble mantels, and silver-plated locks.
Many properties listed in the registers are private dwellings and are not open to the public, however many are visible from the public right-of-way. Please be respectful of owner privacy.
VLR: Virginia Landmarks Register
NPS: National Park Service
NRHP: National Register of Historic Places
NHL: National Historic Landmark